Thursday, October 26, 2006

A puzzler and Diwali expedition

Dear all,
We're on holiday! and the plan to do nothing has worked very well. It helped that the boy was a bit poorly with an impressive cough, so we just stayed in for a few days doing housey things that have needed doing for a very long time.
I'm running my first big course on Saturday and everything seems to be all in place, I'm sure you can overplan something like this.
We had a lovely morning today and went to see the Diwali lights in Leicester, we bought lots of yummy things from the asian supermarket and some diwali sweets (now feel very sick). I also bought an outfit, a top, trousers and scarf in black cotton and lots of silver sequins all for £6!!!
It only needs a little tweek to make it perfect.
The puzzler of the week comes from an incident yesterday and a little forward thinking for xmas.
My Emi loves music and will happily dance to almost anything. You should have seen the family dancing to saturday night fever last night.
Yesterday in a cafe she started to jiggle whilst eating her lunch and I realised it was a classic Madonna track. I found myself saying this is madonna I'm sure you'll have alot of this in your music collection when your older.
So I'm thinking of buying her a cheap cd player for xmas and think I will buy her a few classic albums to get her jigging, the quesion is what? You know over the years there will be the odd terrible Barbie and high five cd, but I'd like to get her off to a good start, wouldn't you?....
The question is.....
What do you buy a small girl to get her music collection started??
Answers on a blog to me....
al x

7 comments:

Mac's niece said...

It has got to be Aretha Franklin closely followed by Nina Simone, with maybe a bit of Sarah Vaughan in there too.

Mac's niece said...

Please post the sequined outfit - it sounds brill!

Anonymous said...

I say You can not beat a bit of Abba! What better to get her moving and a grooving! Ok so It's cheezy but who cares!!!! Good luck for Saturday! I'm sure you'll be fabulous! Cat.x

Anonymous said...

Hello Al

I'll be posting your first gift tomorrow, and a little something for Emi next week. It isn't music, but I hope she'll like it anyway!

Love,

Your Secret Pal 9 x

Leigh said...

Oh, you are so wise to want to choose good music for her. Of course, since my tastes run toward the classical, I tend to suggest things like:
Rossini's William Tell Overture (she'll dance her heart out to that!)
Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King
Rimsky Korsakoff's Flight of the Bumblebee
Tchaikovsky such as 1812 Overture and dances from The Nutcracker Suite
Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries

I did this with my daughter when she was little and she's currently working on a master's degree in piano performance. So I think it makes a real difference in their lives.

Anonymous said...

If you wanted something a little heavier then Queen will always be a classic.
She might also like Eric Clapton, Dire Strais and Pink Floyd...

Don't get her any of this new fangled pop nonsense - I'm sure she'll learn to 'shake her booty' and learn 'something 'bout my toot toot' when she's about 13... :-)

Luv from Bee.
x

Anonymous said...

ooh, I think the Grease album but sounds like anything will do! Someone told me their little girl once danced to the sound of a dripping tap..