Sunday, April 30, 2006

SILK SILK SILK

You know how sometimes you just have a thing about a certain fibre....
well at the moment I have a thing about Silk yarn.
An expensive thing to be into, but I'm trying to do it on a shoe string. There are so many new silk fibres out at the moment, Debbie Bliss has some lovely ones out, but they are a bit to pastel for me. I've worked a bit with recycled sari silk, it's a lovely fibre, but a devil to work with, it had alot of loose ends, it's very soft though. I've also done some crochet with the mulbery silk that I dyed, that is more rough and not shiny at all. I keep looking for the next silk yarn to work with.
In the mean time I went on a trip yesterday, to the Macclesfield silk museums, (http://www.silk-macclesfield.org/). I went with the Lutterworth embroiderers guild, on a bus trip.
It was a fascinating trip, lots of machinery that did ingenious things with fibres. The buildings were beautiful, big silk factories. I came away with more questions than I went with though. So I have to do some research about silk farming! like you do. Like they didn't farm the silk themselves, it all came in, in skeins, I want to know how and where from etc.
I'm afraid I didn't take any pickies though, sorry, the day went very quickly.
Added excitement was getting locked in the museum whilst the footy yobs were trashing macclesfield... grimsby were playing macclesfield apparently... lots of sirens and riot vans!!
I also almost finish three 3D bracelets whilst on the bus! pickies when they are finished off.
al x

1 comment:

m said...

Are you going to do this month's silk spinning workshop?